Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Watermelon spring rolls

Watermelon Spring Rolls - perfect for a summer appetizer, and a great way to use herbs from your garden.
I gathered together all my ingredients - spring roll wrappers (found in Asian sections of most groceries.) Watermelon, sliced into long strips. Avocado, also cut in slices (sprinkle with lime juice and salt). Herbs and lettuce - I used basil, cilantro, chives and arugula (parsley, mint, any type of lettuce would also be good). I used my condiment caddy to organize my herbs (and watermelon slices).
To prepare the rice wrappers, place into a shallow dish of warm water for 1-2 minutes until soft.
Take them out of the water and onto a tea towel, or some paper towels (to drain excess water). Layer the the ingredients, place them about an inch from the bottom, and leave about an inch on each side of the rice paper.
Fold the sides in, then begin to roll up.
While rolling, try to get the roll as tight as possible.
Serve with a sweet chili sauce.

Shown on antique silver tray with expandable tongs, and pressed glass sauce dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment