Monday, July 20, 2009

File Cabinet Metamorphosis

I am taking part in Metamorphosis Monday again, hosted by the wonderful Between Naps on the Porch, this time showing my file cabinet metamorphosis.

Almost everyone has a file cabinet. And they are almost always ugly, but essential. The nice ones are usually very expensive, but the cheap metal ones can usually be found at Goodwill or other thrift stores for a few dollars. Here is my thrift store file cabinet.
I decided to try to pretty it up a bit. I picked up some wood accent pieces like these:
They are $1.99 (2 in each package), I needed 2 packages. You can find similar ones at most craft stores, such as Joann.
I used Liquid Nails to glue them to the upper and lower parts of the sunken in handles.
After letting them dry for 24 hours, I pained the whole thing white. I used a primer coat and then a coat of white gloss.
I think it looks a lot better. It now sits out in the open.
Don't forget to check out Between Naps on the Porch for other Metamorphosis Monday projects!

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh I could do that. I have file cabinets holding up my counter top so this would look much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quick inexpensive fixes for us noncrafty types! Thankss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to "cottagfi" a basic file cabinet. Very creative. Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh! I like that. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job ! I haven't checked Joanns for onlays..will have to do that !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous and such an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat idea!! I have two old filing cabinets in my basement that could use a facelift...did you use a special sort of paint for metal??

    Happy Met Monday!!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! You have an entirely different feel to your filing cabinet! I have a black cabinet - hm... have to think about what I can do to change mine! You are so inspiring!

    PS - I love the peacock on top of the cabinet - it's gorgeous!!!

    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used a Krylon spray paint, I'm not sure of the exact one (they have several types) but it said it work on metal.
    The wood pieces are in the woodworking section of my local Joann.
    And the peacock was from a flea market, it was gold (and I see them ALL the time at fleas, they are usually around $2) and I spray painted it flat white!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips. I'm going to work on my cabinet and on the lookout for a "new" peacock!

    ReplyDelete