Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bargain Before and After

I picked up this little side table/night stand for $4 at my local thrift store. It was not in great shape, the lower hardware was missing, it had lots of dents and scratches. It had it's feet, but they would not stay screwed on.
But, it had a very cute look to it, I loved the molding along the top, and the rounded feet (not shown in before picture - sorry!) I wanted to do something a little different with it, play off of the rounded feet maybe?
I found a very plain 10" ceiling medallion at my local hardware store for $5.00. You can find this one online as well as many other options.
I picked up new hardware at Home Depot. They were 4.97 each, I needed 2. I really liked the backplate on the knob.
After I had all my supplies, I sanded the table, removed the old hardware, and filled up the bottom knob hole, and any other gaps or dents with wood fill.
Next, I used liquid nails to glue the legs on (probably not the proper way to do it, but it worked just fine!) I also used the liquid nails to glue the ceiling medallion to the front panel, then sat some books on it and let it dry for 24 hours. Next, I drilled a hold in the center of the medallion for the new hardware.
Last, the whole thing was painted white (including the hardware). Primer first, then 2 coats of white gloss spray paint.




Table $4.00
Ceiling Medallion $5.00
Hardware 2 @ $4.97 = $9.94
Wood fill, sand paper, liquid nails, paint - I had these on hand.
Total out of pocket = $18.94

5 comments:

  1. hey...cute!!!! and um, really nice mirror!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh another thrifter!! Love your finds, thanks for stopping by & I look forward to seeing you around more often. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great accent piece! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm so glad you shared this because I missed it. Beautiful job! I love it!

    Thanks for everything - joining the party today, votes, comments. ;) Have a GREAT weekend!

    TGIF!
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.
    I'm just stopping by from the DIY Showoff. You have a lovely blog.

    XO*Tricia
    That is an astounding transformation, btw! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete